The wide range of research covered by the AIHR is organised in five research schools, which together form the Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research.
Each research school covers an important research area within the faculty:
- Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication (ACLC)
- Amsterdam School for Regional, Transnational and European Studies (ARTES)
- Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA)
- Amsterdam School of Historical Studies (ASH)
- Amsterdam School for Heritage, Memory and Material Culture (AHM)
The Faculty of Humanities also participates in an interfaculty research institute with the Faculty of Science:
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
Each school/institute has its own research programme. Research schools/institute are also the home base for PhD students, who interact with each other and with senior members in the research groups that make up the research school. The research groups do not only carry out their own research programme, they also organize lectures, workshops, and conferences, an overview of which can be found under News and Events.